The Giving Voice campaign has captured the imagination of speech and language therapists across the UK. Since its launch in November 2010 a wide range of creative and effective activities have spread the message ‘speech and language therapy transforms lives’.
In 2011, our first full year of local activity, members of RCSLT:
- Met with their chief executives to explain the campaign messages
- Used existing events as a vehicle to showcase Giving Voice
- Created brand new events and actions to involve service users and the public in the campaign
- Invited local decision makers, including parliamentarians, assembly members and councillors to visit their services and see firsthand that speech and language therapy transforms lives
- Secured powerful and positive local media coverage of their work
Our autumn mass mobilisations enabled members, their service users and other campaign supporters to join together with one voice and take the Giving Voice messages to the heart of power in Westminster, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast. Read all about this amazing achievement!
- Brought the campaign to the Prime Minister’s attention
Mike Richards, Head of Adult SLT at Weston Hospital wrote to David Cameron highlighting his recent work with a father-of-the-bride and a smart phone application. Mike had already secured significant media coverage for this innovative work and in his letter to the PM took the opportunity to alert Cameron to the Giving Voice campaign.
In response, David Cameron said:
I recognise the value of speech and language therapy for adults and children with speech, language and swallowing difficulties. Speech and language therapists make a significant contribution in tackling these challenges and adding quality to life….The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists’ Giving Voice campaign provides an ideal platform to champion the role of speech and language therapists and I wish you all the best with this endeavour.
Have you got a great example of how your local campaigning has had an impact?
Please let us know as soon as possible so we can share your success and encourage others to get involved too. Campaign champions are encouraged to use the activity reporting survey to keep RCSLT informed of all your local activities.